Inter-scholastic Eligibility Requirements
For unqualified eligibility for inter-scholastic activities, students must meet two standards. One is established by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and the other is set by the Shaker Heights Board of Education.
- OHSAA Standard: Students must earn 2.5 credits of passing grades each nine-week grading period to be eligible during the next nine-week grading period.
- Shaker Standard: Students must earn a 2.5 or higher GPA each nine-week grading period and maintain a 2.5 or higher Cumulative GPA to be eligible during the next nine-week grading period.
Students meeting the OHSAA standard, but not the Shaker standard, may obtain probationary eligibility with an approved Academic Improvement Plan.
Students not meeting OHSAA eligibility requirements during the fourth quarter of any school year will be ineligible for the entire first quarter the following fall. Summer school work cannot be used to reestablish eligibility lost as a result of fourth quarter achievement.
College Athletic Eligibility/NCAA
NCAA rules stipulate that only Core, Honors and Advanced/Advanced Placement/IB courses will count toward initial eligibility for college athletes. Not all Shaker Heights High School courses are approved for NCAA eligibility.
- A minimum core course GPA of 2.30 for scholarship and full participation.
- 10 of the 16 core course requirements must be completed prior to the start of the seventh semester (senior year) of high school.
- 7 of those 10 core courses must be from the English, math or Natural/Physical Science.
Any retakes of the first 10 core courses must be completed prior to senior year.
- Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching the core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale.
- Graduate high school.
Please consult the NCAA Eligibility Center for the most up-to-date eligibility information.