To demonstrate competency, graduates must fulfill at least one option below to show that he or she is ready for college or employment.
- Ohio’s State Tests: Participate in all end-of-course assessments. Earn a state designated competency score on Ohio’s high school Algebra I (taken in 8th grade) and English Language Arts II assessments. Students who do not earn the required score on the assessments with the first attempt must receive intervention and retake the test at least once.
- College Credit Plus: Earn college credit in a non-remedial math or English course (for the subject area not passed) to demonstrate competency.
- Career Experience and Technical Skill – Complete two demonstrations to show competency, at least one of which must be a foundational option.
*Earn a score of proficient or higher on three or more WebXams in a single career pathway;
*Earn a 12-point approved industry-recognized credential or group of credentials totaling 12 points in a single career field;
*Complete a pre-apprenticeship in the student’s chosen career field or, for students ages 18 and older, show evidence of acceptance into an apprenticeship program after high school.
*Complete a 250-hour work-based learning experience with evidence of positive evaluations;
*Earn the workforce readiness score on WorkKeys; or
*Earn the OhioMeansJobs-Readiness Seal.
- Military Readiness – Competency can be achieved by meeting the requirements to enlist in the military, which can be demonstrated by a contract with the military to enlist upon graduation (see the Military Enlistment Seal guidelines in this document for more information about enlistment)
- College and Career Readiness Tests: Earn the “remediation-free” scores* on either:
English: 18 or higher
Mathematics: 22 or higher
Reading: 22 or higher
Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW): 480 or higher
Mathematics: 520 or higher
State of Ohio will pay one time for all 11th-grade students to take national exam free of charge.
*Ohio's university presidents set these scores, which are subject to change.