Parents and/or legal guardians must reside within the Shaker Heights City School District for their children to attend the Shaker schools.
Consult the school district map
to make sure your home is within the District. The school attendance laws of the State of Ohio are strictly enforced. If you are unsure whether your child is eligible to attend the Shaker schools, please call the Registration Office at (216) 295-4321 or send an e-mail to Glo Morris
The Registration Process
Registering your children in the Shaker Heights City School District has never been easier. Beginning in the winter of 2018, parents and guardians can access our new online registration process that will save time and ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information on your child.
Families wishing to register their children have two options:
- Visit registration.shaker.org and complete all necessary documents online at your leisure in the privacy of your own home prior to your appointment at the Registration Office. This will dramatically reduce the time it will take to register your child.
- For those who would like assistance completing the forms online, please make an appointment at the Registration Office, 216-295-4321, and our staff will walk you through the process.
With either option, you must schedule an appointment to review your completed forms and to complete registration for your student. Please contact the Registration Office located in the Administration Building, 15600 Parkland Drive. Office hours are from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Schedule an appointment by calling 216-295-4321. The appointment will last for a maximum of one hour (additional time will be needed when registering multiple children). A parent/legal guardian must appear in person to register their child.
In order to best plan for your child’s academic success, students enrolling in grades 3-12 will be assessed as a part of the registration process prior to receiving their class assignment or schedule. Please bring your child to the appointment.On the Day of Your Appointment
Please arrive on time for your appointment at the Administration Building, 15600 Parkland Drive, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120. Please note:
- All required documentation and completed forms will be reviewed and collected.
- Students enrolling in grades 3-12 will complete a short assessment.
- New families will be provided with important information and resources regarding the Shaker Heights City Schools.
To register your child, along with proofs of residency, please bring the following original documents:
- A certified copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport
- Complete immunization record
- Three items as proof of your residence within the Shaker Heights City School District (see below)
- Withdrawal forms from previous school, if applicable
- Divorce, custody or guardianship documents, if applicable
- Parent or guardian's photo ID
- Current special education records: must have IEP, MFE, or 504 plan, if applicable
- International students: an official, translated and notarized transcript is also required
Proof of Residence
Three items must be provided as proof of the parent/guardian's residence upon the enrollment of any child into the School District. Listed below are documents that can be used for this purpose.
One item must be:
- A Certificate of Occupancy for any two-family or single-home rental, and/or
- A current signed lease, mortgage verification, or signed purchase agreement
Two additional proofs of residence may include:
- A current utility bill showing the name and address of the parent/guardian
- Income or employment verification
- Tax correspondence
- Home, rental, health or car insurance
- Verification from a bank or other financial institution
If you move to a new address at any time during your child’s enrollment in the District, it is your responsibility to inform school officials of your new address and bring proof of residency to the Registration Office.
Ohio law requires that all children complete a formal kindergarten program. Children who are five years old on or before September 30 are eligible to attend kindergarten. Children must be at least six years old to enter first grade.
Upon completing the registration process, review this essential information for new families.