Enroll NOW for 2021-2022!

Enroll your incoming kindergartner or new student now for the fall! Click 'Read More' below to start the enrollment process.
Read More

Free/Reduced-Price Meals

Shaker Heights Schools encourages all families to submit an application for free- or reduced-price meal eligibility regardless of family income. The percentage of students qualifying for meals is a data point utilized by the federal government to provide the District with certain funds that benefit all students.

Application Information

  • Shaker Heights Schools encourages all families who believe they may be eligible to apply. Review these income guidelines to see if you qualify.
  • There is no application deadline; families may apply at any time. One application must be completed for each household each school year. To minimize in-person contact and to slow the spread of Covid-19, we are strongly recommending that applications be filled out on-line instead of submitting a paper application.  
  • If you require assistance with your application or are in need of a translator, please call 216-295-5593 or email Renee Maenner.

Apply Online

Families may apply online for free/reduced-price meals. Please review the following before applying online:

Download a Paper Application

You may also download and complete a paper application. Please be sure to review the Frequently Asked Questions in this document or in the section below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand the menus below for common questions and answers to help you with the Free/Reduced-Price Meals application process.

Who Can Receive Free or Reduced-Price Meals?

All children in households receiving benefits from the supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP) or Ohio Works First (OWF) are eligible for free meals.
  • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. 
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
  • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart

How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway?

Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, call or email your school homeless liaison, Ms. Shannise Jackson-Ndiaye at 216-295-4324.  

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to:
Renee Maenner
Service Center
3654 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120
You will receive an email or letter of approval/denial in 10 school days.

Should I fill out an application if my children are already approved this year for free meals?

No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Renee Maenner, 216-295-5593 immediately.

My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to complete a new one?

Yes.  Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year, through October 1, 2019. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.  If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.  

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report. 

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to:
David Boyer, Director of Buildings & Grounds
3654 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH44120

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

 Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

What if there isn't enough space on the application for my family?

List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Renee Maenner, 216-295-5593. Or mail the information to:
Renee Maenner
3654 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120

Why am I being asked about giving my consent for an instructional fee waiver?

Ohio public schools are required to waive the school instructional fees for children who qualify for free meal benefits. School Food Service personnel must have parent consent to share student meal application if your child(ren) qualify for a fee waiver. If you agree to allow your child(ren)’s meal application to be shared with school officials to see if he/she/they qualifies for a fee waiver, then check “yes” in part 5. If you do not wish for that information to be shared, then check “no” in part 5. Answering no to this question will mean your child will not be able to be considered for a fee waiver. Answering this question either way will not change whether your child(ren) will get free or reduced price meals.  

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

To find out how to apply for Ohio SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 877-852-0010. 

Apply Online

PaySchools button


If you have additional questions about Free/Reduced-Price Meals or if you need help with the application process, contact Renee Maenner, 216-295-5593.
Apple Store Google Play
© 2021. Shaker Heights Schools. All Rights Reserved.
If any of the material on this page is not accessible to you or you have questions, please send us an email or call us via our contact page and we will provide alternatives.