This FAQ answers common questions regarding Shaker Heights Schools’ superintendent search.
Who is responsible for hiring the Superintendent?
Public school boards in the State of Ohio are responsible for selecting and employing both a superintendent and a treasurer.
Who is eligible to apply to be a Superintendent?
According to the Ohio Department of Education, an educator who is interested in applying for a professional administrator license (superintendent) must meet the qualifications outlined in Ohio administrative rule:
- Earn a master’s degree from an accredited university.
- Complete an approved preparation program.
- Receive a recommendation from the dean or head of teacher education at the institution where he or she completed the preparation program.
- Complete the Ohio Assessment for Educators licensure exam #015, Educational Leadership, prescribed by the State Board of Education.
- A superintendent must have three years of successful experience in a position requiring a principal or administrative specialist license.
What is the average tenure for a public school superintendent?
Why does the Board of Education utilize a search firm to hire a superintendent?
Finding the right candidate to lead the Shaker Heights City School District is the most important task of the Board of Education. Across Ohio and around the nation, school districts rely on search firms to provide them with process expertise and access to the best candidates. The search firm will help to:
- gather stakeholder input from across the community
- develop a leadership profile
- identify candidates through existing networks and advertisements in relevant publications
- cultivate candidates and
- present finalists for consideration
Utilizing a search firm best enables the Board of Education to leverage a vast network to find the right candidate that best meets the leadership profile for Shaker Heights.
Even though the Board has hired a national search firm, will the Board still consider local and internal candidates?
Yes, the Board will consider all candidates regardless of location.
Is there a time of year that’s best to start a superintendent search?
Yes, late fall/early winter is the ideal time. Top candidates begin searching over winter break with the intent to commit to a new position for the following school year.
What if the search doesn’t yield a viable candidate?
In the unlikely event the search does not yield a viable candidate, the search firm is contractually obligated to carry out another search without additional fees.
How can I be an engaged community member in this search process?
Community members are invited to fill out this Leadership Priority Survey
. Your responses will inform the process of developing Shaker Heights Schools’ leadership profile, which outlines the essential skills we seek in our next superintendent. The Leadership Priority Survey will be open through December 14. In addition, there will be two opportunities for the public to share feedback and suggestions:
- Wednesday, December 12, 6 p.m. at Shaker Heights Middle School
- Thursday, December 13, 6 p.m. at Shaker Heights High School
How can I receive updates and news on the Superintendent Search?
to stay up-to-date on the Superintendent Search Process and receive news and updates via email.
When will the search conclude?
The Board expects to announce the next superintendent of Shaker Heights Schools in March 2019.