Today begins the cleaning up and the moving forward for our beloved Fernway School.
We know that you have many questions about what’s next for Fernway. Disaster recovery crews are working quickly and diligently to clean up the building and engineers and Shaker Heights Fire Department officials remain on the scene to investigate and determine the building’s status. At the Administration Building, District officials are in the process of determining feasibility of various contingency plans for the coming school year.
Clearly, there is much to be done and there will be much news to share. To that end, beginning today, we will provide you with daily updates in the short term via email, web and social media. We will keep you informed of any developments as we learn them. Right now, we do know this: your students will begin school on August 22 and Fernway teachers will teach them.
We are grateful for the strength of the entire City of Shaker Heights and especially the Fernway community. Your support, patience and understanding as we all progress through this process of re-opening Fernway School will be critical in the days, weeks and months ahead.
You entrust your students to us and, in turn, we provide a holistic, high-quality public education that prepares children for today’s world. Our commitment to this remains steadfast and will serve as our guide as we all work together on this journey.
Please review our news from the past 24 hours:
Fernway Daily Update | July 11, 2018
Fernway Grounds Closed
- The Fernway School grounds including the parking lot, the blacktop play area, playground and grassy areas are closed until further notice for safety reasons. Only authorized officials will be permitted into the building with an escort.
- Director of Pupil Services Elizabeth Kimmel is working with District school psychologists and Hospice of the Western Reserve to provide grief support on Thursday and Friday. If you or your student is in need of grief counseling, please contact Elizabeth Kimmel, firstname.lastname@example.org_e@shaker.org
- Two Shaker Schools school psychologists, Cheri Shapero and Mitch Moisio, were at Lomond School this morning to support any SELF Summer Program students who were experiencing distress related to the fire at Fernway. Joanna Lane, Onaway’s Bellefaire counselor, also was at Lomond this morning.
Shaker Schools Foundation Fernway Fund
- The Shaker Schools Foundation has established the Fernway Fund to help with recovery efforts from the fire. All gifts to the Fernway Fund will be used to support teachers and students as they rebuild and re-envision their learning environments to benefit Fernway Elementary. Donate online.
- Watch this #FernwayForever message from Mr. Hayward.
- A #FernwayForever banner will be delivered to Fernway School. Copy King has graciously donated the banner.
Assessment and Cleanup
- Representatives from our disaster recovery contractors have removed furniture and other valuables to the blacktop. String lights powered by generators have been installed to illuminate dark areas.
Community Meeting Date
- The District will host a public Community Meeting in the coming week. District administrators and Mr. Hayward will share information from these daily updates and any new information we can share. We will send details of the date, time and location as soon as possible.