This fall, Shaker School's PTO Council CommUnity Builders will pilot "Shaker CommUnity Markets" in collaboration with the Shaker School's Center for Family and Community Engagement (F.A.C.E.), the City of Shaker Heights, the Shaker Heights Library, and Greater Cleveland Food Bank. Market dates are Thursday, September 28 from 5-7 p.m., and Thursday October 26 from 4-6 p.m.
The CommUnity Markets will offer families and neighbors access to school resources, community services, nutrition and health resources, exercise opportunities, and fresh produce. The free market will include booths about extra-curricular activities, the police and fire departments, library programs, and even cooking demonstrations. In addition, families may take home fresh produce from the Greater Cleveland Food Bank as they like.
A sample of market participants includes:
- Shaker Heights Police and Fire
- Shaker Libraries
- Shaker Heights Recreation Dept
- Van Aken District
- The Dealership
- Family Connections
- Bellefaire JCB
- The League of Women Voters
- SHHS Guidance Department
- Shaker African American Mothers Support (SAAMS)
- Student Group on Race Relations (SGORR)
- Youth Ending Hunger from SHHS
- Yoga Instruction by various local instructors
- Line Dancing by Onaway PE teacher, Sally Davros
- Lawn Games by Shaker Heights Library Department of Community Engagement
- Popcorn by PTO Spirit Committee
Markets take place at the field and lot shared by Onaway and Woodbury Schools, and the Shaker Schools Administration Building (with rain location inside the Onaway gymnasium).