Welcome to Mercer PTO!
Did you know?
All parents or guardians of students in the Shaker Heights School District are automatically members of PTO. There are no membership fees, dues, or requirements. Any parent or guardian is welcome to attend any PTO meeting or event.
What Does PTO Do?
Builds Community through events like . . .
- Ice Cream Social - kick off the school year, meet old and new friends, and learn about the
- exciting activities PTO has planned at the annual Ice Cream Social.
- Movie Night - fight the winter blues with a night at the movies at Mercer.
- International Night - learn about different countries and cultures and sample foreign foods as you celebrate the ethnic diversity of Mercer students and families.
Enriches Students' Education through programs such as . . .
- Artist in Residence - a week‐long program partnering a professional artist with our specials teachers to create a special activity involving our students. This year our Artist in Residence will work with our Library educators.
- IB (International Baccalaureate) Night - join your children for an evening of inquiries. Share the excitement of discovery and learning that are inherent in the IB curriculum.
- After School Enrichment ‐ such as Chess, Meerkat Club, and more␣
- Mercer Times - Mercer's school newspaper of articles, stories, pictures and puzzles written and created by those 3rd and 4th graders who want to be involved. The newspaper is published twice yearly, once in the winter and again in the spring.
Supports our School and Promotes School Spirit with . . .
- Popcorn and Spirit Days - on the last Friday of each month volunteers pop corn to pass out during lunches and our Mercer Spirit Store is open for students to purchase Mercer pencils, sharpeners, t-shirts, hoodies, and more.
- Parent Room Representatives - help coordinate the four class parties (Halloween, Winter, Valentine's Day, and End of Year).
- Staff Appreciation - 3 times per year volunteers provide breakfast or lunch for our teachers and staff as an expression of our appreciation.
And so much more! See our complete PTO Event Listing!
PTO Functions Best with Your Involvement!
Our volunteers . . .
Communicate with Mercer Families
- help with daily safety calls to ensure that all absent and tardy students are accounted for.
- compile the weekly Mercer Mailbox
- keep the Mercer Community aware of current educational issues and laws and school levies.
- welcome new families by hosting activities such as the orientations at the beginning of the year
- facilitate First Grade Publishing: A program that enables first graders to publish their own original books.
- maintain the WEB room: a collection of "Wonderfully Exciting Books" used by teachers in their classroom guided reading program.
Help Keep Our School Beautiful
- work on landscaping with the mission of keeping our school grounds beautiful.
- aid in the set up of the Learning Garden where students can experience the joy of gardening.
- assist with hallway decoration and the display of student art work in the Mercer Art Gallery.
Reach Out to the Mercer & Greater Shaker Community
- organize Community Open Houses and Neighborhood Coffees
- take pictures at Mercer events, and update our Mercer scrapbook (available to view in the office)
Are Always Needed!
- please email our PTO president to find out about upcoming opportunities.
Who can you contact for more information? Your Executive Board!
Mercer's PTO Executive Board is elected annually in March and serves a one-‐year term beginning in May. The Board coordinates all PTO fundraising and events. Please contact any one of us at any time if you want to volunteer, have an idea to share, or have a complaint you think we can address.
Our Special Education Liaison, Miki Graban, serves as the s as the local connection to the Shaker School District Special Education Support Group which deals with questions and concerns of parents and teachers of children with special needs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Families New to Mercer after School Starts
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will welcome the family and help them get acquainted with the school.