The Board of Education is composed of five residents of the School District who are elected to four-year terms. The Board elects its President and Vice President in an annual organizational meeting. Board members bring to their work a variety of perspectives and strengths gained through their personal experiences, their education and careers, and their volunteer service in the community.
Under the laws of the state of Ohio, the Board acts as the governing body of the public schools. Within the extent of its legal powers, the Board has responsibilities for operating the District in accordance with the desires of local citizens who elect its members.
The Board’s major responsibilities are to:
- select and employ a Superintendent;
- select and employ a Treasurer;
- determine and approve the annual budget and appropriations;
- provide needed facilities;
- provide for the funds necessary to finance the operation of the District;
- consider and approve or reject the recommendations of the Superintendent in all matters of policy, appointment or dismissal of employees, salary schedules, courses of study, selection of textbooks and other matters pertaining to the operation of the District;
- require reports of the Superintendent concerning the conditions, efficiency and needs of the District;
- evaluate the effectiveness with which the District is achieving the educational purposes of the Board;
- inform the public about the progress and needs of the District and to solicit and weigh public opinion as it affects the District and
- adopt policies for its governance and the governance of its employees and the students of the District.
Policy BBA - Revised December 2015