What we believe:
· We respect the various languages and dialects of the Lomond community and believe they enhance the learning environment.
· Language and dialect are part of a student’s identity.
· A student proficient in language is able to participate as a member of the community.
· The school community is a language-rich environment and all teachers are language instructors.
· Language is a tool of communication to make sense of the world.
· We foster a love of literature, language, culture and the arts.
· The primary language of instruction at Lomond Elementary is English.
· Mandarin is the second language taught.
· Language learning takes place in authentic contexts across the curriculum.
· Instruction is aligned to Ohio state standards and International Baccalaureate Units of Inquiry.
· The curriculum is literature-based.
· Differentiated instruction is used to meet the needs of all learners.
· Lomond is developing its library resources for mother tongue support.
· Lomond provides classroom support of students’ first language and culture.
· Families share their languages and cultures in the school.
· A teacher provides academic and language support for students who are learning English as a second language.
· Grades 1-4 participate in Mandarin instruction for 60 minutes a week with a qualified Mandarin instructor.
· Chinese culture, language and customs are integrated across the curriculum.
· The Language Policy will be reviewed annually in the spring with the entire staff.
· Annually, by the end of September, a member of the Building Leadership Team will inform new staff members of the Language Policy.