Training and Education is an essential part of our plan to provide a safe workplace at Shaker Heights CSD. Our training program begins with an initial orientation (plus retraining whenever new hazards, chemicals, tasks or PPE are introduced) to do the job followed by regularly scheduled refresher training on an annual basis.
The new employee is informed to report any work-related injury, no matter how minor, to a supervisor, to correctly wear and/or use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and respective policy and procedures. Training may include the use of safety videos, safety meeting tip sheets or safety booklets. All employees are required to sign attendance rosters, which are maintained.
Each department has the responsibility of providing on-the-job training to each employee on the topics that will enable the employee to do his job safely and efficiently. This training may include:
- Orientation to District safety
- Procedures for reporting on-the-job injuries and accidents
- Procedures for processing hospital/medical bills related to job-related injuries
- Workers' Compensation claims process
- Requirements of use of vehicles
- Reporting of unsafe conditions
- Use and disposal of hazardous chemicals in the workplace
- Specialized training in the use of tools and equipment
All employees are expected to request instruction in those tasks or for any equipment with which they are not familiar.