I've downloaded the Shaker Schools app, how do I select the school information that I want? You may add schools you'd like to follow one at a time. Begin by selecting your school or the District ("Shaker Heights Schools" in the menu). To add an additional school, tap the menu icon and select "My School." On the following screen, tap the plus sign and add a school or the District. Once you have selected your building and/or the District, you can view each individual calendar.
Can the Shaker Schools app send me alerts on building events? Yes! The Shaker Schools app can send daily or weekly reminders right on your phone. In the main menu (top right), scroll down to Settings then tap My Alerts. Select Enable Push Notifications and then choose whether you’d like to receive alerts daily or weekly. That’s it! We encourage you to allow the push notifications, as it enables you to receive emergency updates.
I prefer to see the calendar on my desktop. Can I import calendar dates to my desktop?
Yes. You can always visit our District calendar
or subscribe online
so the calendars appear and automatically update on your iCal, Google or Outlook calendars.
I prefer to see events on my smartphone calendar. Can I import calendar dates to my phone?
Yes. Subscribe online
so the calendars appear and automatically update to your iCal or Google calendars. You can also subscribe to the calendar from the app.
Is there a printed calendar available? Yes. Printed calendars will be available at all schools and the Administration Building for pickup only when all District buildings open on Thursday, August 17. They also will be available at all District and PTO-sponsored back-to-school events.
What is the At-A-Glance Calendar? The 2017-2018 At-A-Glance Calendar is available online and identifies holidays, breaks and conference/professional days. It’s one-page and easily printable for reference. Note: all these days are pre-populated in the online calendar and on the Shaker Schools app.
Why won’t I receive a printed calendar in the mail? The District is always looking for smart ways to build efficiencies and effectively utilize our resources. That includes encouraging families to use our website and Shaker Schools app calendars for the most up-to-date information. District-wide, we also encourage teachers and families to use web-based or electronic means of communication over paper whenever possible.
When is the first day of school? School starts Wednesday, August 23. Look for a District email/robocall two weeks before the start of school.
Where can I find the PTO roster for my school? All school PTOs maintain their own webpages at shaker.org. Visit the PTO Council web page and navigate to your school PTO page, where you’ll find a roster of PTO officers as well as a contact number for more information. You may also access the PTO Council roster in the Resources menu of the Shaker Schools app or in the printed calendar, which is available for pickup at your school office or at the Administration Building on August 17.
Where can I find contact information for Shaker Schools? Visit Contact Us online for a staff directory and office numbers for each school and building. Contact information is also available in the Shaker Schools app—select Contacts in the Resources menu. Finally, contact information is included in the printed calendar, available for pickup at your school office or at the Administration Building on August 17.
When are the playdates for incoming kindergarteners? The PTO is working with the District to plan those dates now. The dates will be finalized by July 1.
When are the orientation dates for the High School, Middle School, Woodbury, Kindergarten and New Families?
- Boulevard Grades 1-4 New Families Open House: 5 p.m., August 16
- Boulevard Incoming Kindergarten Parent Meeting: 8:30 a.m., August 22
- Fernway New Families Welcome/Ice Cream Social: 6 p.m., August 21
- Fernway Incoming Kindergarten Parent Meetings: 9 a.m. & 10:15 a.m., August 21
- Fernway Incoming Kindergarten Parent Meetings: 1 p.m. & 2:15 p.m., August 22
- Lomond K-4 New Families Ice Cream Social: 6 p.m., August 17
- Mercer Teacher Meet and Greet, Grades 1-4: 4 p.m., August 21
- Mercer Teacher Meet and Greet, Grades PreK-K: 5:30 p.m., August 21
- Onaway Grades 1-4 New Families Welcome: 7 p.m., August 15
- Onaway Evening Orientation for Kindergarten Families: 6:30 p.m., August 17
- Onaway Morning Orientation for Kindergarten Families: 9 a.m., August 21
- Woodbury New Families Orientation: 9:30 a.m., August 9
- Middle School New Families and Incoming Grade 7 Orientation: 10 a.m., August 22
- High School Grade 9 and New Student Orientation Session I: 9 a.m., August 22
- High School Grade 9 and New Student Orientation Session II: 1 p.m., August 22